Principles of Continuous Delivery
I recently watched a presentation from Dave Farley outlining the “Why” of Continuous Delivery. In the presentation, Dave delivered a slide that outlines the guiding principles of the continuous delivery movement:
- Create a repeatable, reliable process for releasing software.
- Automate almost everything.
- Keep everything under version control.
- If it hurts, do it more often - bring the pain forward.
- Build quality in.
- Done means released.
- Everybody is responsible for the release process.
- Improve continuously.
Keep these in your back pocket while you’re in the trenches, improving tools, making process decisions, and getting lost in the weeds. They should be your guiding light as an executive, product owner, manager, engineer, or tester in the world of software development.